วันอังคารที่ 17 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2555

Dj Spotlight feature Interview - Dj BoriQua - One-On-One Exclusive

Intro

Dj BoriQua

Japanese School Girls

Hailing originally from Puerto Rico, Dj BoriQua (a.k.a. Orlando Felix) has been largely inspired by an infectious enthusiasm his father imparted to him as a child. "I by all means; of course have a lot more to learn about Salsa . . . But I also have much to share from the knowledge and taste I've been so fortunate to attain." As it is with any Bay Area Latin Djs, one of his former goals in this role, is to help educate about the music - with its rich history, culture and the diversity of the artists who have contributed so greatly to the Latin music movement.

Dj BoriQua speaks to some of the differences we may barely consideration or answer about the music we hear played on the radio, at Latin music and dance events, and in the clubs that we attend. Most likely, it's because most of us have no idea what we're authentically listening and/or dancing to! You might be in a beloved San Francisco club playing old school salsa (salsa in its purest form); then just twenty minutes down the peninsula, you could find yourself in another club, bathed in a Central or South American salsa flavor with music that comes out of Colombia!

Interview

Mg: How and when did you get started as a Dj?

Djb: I never authentically intended to be a Dj, but I started buying salsa music while growing up in my native Puerto Rico. After joining the U.S. Air Force in 1992, they stationed me in Okinawa, Japan for 3 years. There, I started buying insane amounts of Salsa Cd's - to keep me close to the feeling of home. ;-) In 1999 I was deployed to Saudi Arabia, where I began Djing "Latin Night", alongside other troops members, as part of the Air Force's Morale, Welfare and Recreation Program. I prolonged Djing "Latin Night" in the Air Force at South Korea (2000), and ultimately inside Travis Air Force base in Fairfield, Ca (2001-2003). Here in the Bay Area, my first occasion to Dj was given to me by Stephanie Palmeri at Steppin' Out Dance Studio in Sunnyvale.

Mg: What were some of the former influences on your amelioration as a Dj?

Djb: My most major sway would be my father. He educated me on the history of Mambo, Guanguanco, Pachanga, and other styles from the 50s and 60s. He had so many vinyls in the house and we use to listen to the music on a daily basis. He would tell us stories about the music scene in New York City and Puerto Rico. He also informed us about the famous musicians of the time, the instruments they played, etc. I never got tired of it. My brother Danny has also been an inspiration. He is a major music form down in Jacksonville, Fl - both as a radio Dj and also as a promoter.

Mg: What is your current involvement in the Sf Bay Area salsa scene?

Djb: Currently, I've been prime (alongside the hottest Djs in the Bay Area), to spin for the second year in a row at the 7th every year Sf Bay Area International Salsa Congress. I am one of the resident Djs at GlasKat Lounge in San Francisco, alongside Dj Super Chino and Dj EldelaClave. With the help of Rodney "Rodchata" Aquino, I became one of the resident Djs at Sh Boom! Nightclub in San Ramon, where Dj Super Chino spins as well. I am the Dj for the every year Sonoma County Salsa Festival in Santa Rosa and assist EldelaClave at the AfinKao dance company's monthly public at The Beat studio in Berkeley. . . Where I am one of the significant dancers. In increasing to these Dj responsibilities, I also teach a beginner On1 salsa dance class at Gold's Gym in Santa Clara, alongside my gorgeous girlfriend Nashely.

Mg: How would you delineate your singular style?

Djb: I try to Dj at a tempo where the dancers can illustrate the music. You also have to be aware of the crowd where you are Djing. So, I'd like to think that I spin for the dancers . . . Being that I am one of them.

Mg: What do you think are the former differences in the middle of salsa in the Bay Area salsa and salsa in other parts of the world?

Djb: Well, I think the Sf Bay Area is unique because of the diversity in dancers. For example, in the World Salsa Championships, we've had finalists in most every division. We had 1st and 2nd place winners in the team divisions, 2nd and 3rd in the On2 division, and top ten in the On1 division. That's a lot of talent and as you can see, we are well represented across the board. In the nightclub scene, you can find live music roughly every night of the week somewhere in the Bay Area. Sometimes you'll have two or more venues with live bands on the same night! We are truly blessed in the Bay Area to have so many options to support and celebrate our love of Latin music and dance!!

Mg: What would you say are the strengths/weaknesses in the Bay Area salsa community?

Djb: Our impel is by all means; of course the unity in the salsa scene. We seem to support each other here and surface of the Bay Area. We are authentically proud of the stock that comes out of this region. Our weakness might be the fact that we can fall victim to our own success. If everyone that turns out flourishing in the scene tries to make a buck, it could lead to the scene being too divided, which could lead to a "watered down" corollary of what's offered overall.

Presently, I think we're where we're supposed to be . . . United!!

Mg: The Bay Area is famous for innovation in many pursuits and salsa is no exception. What is your reaction to what Giju has done with his first, and first ever Hindi/Salsa cross-over album "Rang Rangeeli yeh Duniya?

Djb: I remember back in 1991 I saw Orquesta De La Luz (Japanese Salsa Band) achieve at the University of Puerto Rico and I concept to myself, "Wow, this is amazing!!!" Today, we have Giju fusing Hindi with Salsa and he hit it out of the park!!! Truly, Salsa is worldwide, crossing all boundaries!! The sky is the limit for him and I wish him all the best of luck with this and any other task he has arrival in the future.

Mg: What do you think is the most leading role of the Dj?

Djb: To know your music. You are part of the salsa movement when you decree to spin. Be one with the dancers and the listeners who attend your events. Always remember . . . They are there to support you, so don't let them down. There's nothing great than seeing a listener bobbing their head up and down while they down rum and cokes, roughly in a trance like state. And those dancers that let you know what a great job you did that singular night - there's no great feeling than that!

Mg: What changes would you like to see in the Bay Area salsa society and in the salsa scene at large?

Djb: I'd like to see more public dancing by the troupe performers. Performing is a gorgeous thing, but bring your dancing to the public floor so you can inspire the casual guy/girl attending an event. Let them say, "Man, I want to dance like that!!!"

Mg: Is music your full-time occupation or do you have another occupation you pursue in increasing to your role as Dj?

Djb: Believe it or not, I am an Air Traffic Controller at San Carlos Airport on the Peninsula. I've been a controller for over 16 years (11 of them in the Air Force). I Dj and instruct as my side gigs. I'm also a proud parent. My son Devin is 13 and my daughter Brianna is 9. They live in South Carolina.

Mg: Is there whatever else you'd like to share with our readers?

Djb: I'm proud to be a part of the Bay Area salsa scene. I've made some great friends as a part of this experience, Djs, dance firm directors, and everyday dancers and supporters of the scene. Every singular one of them work hard to inspire others and for that, we should be grateful.

Thank you for the occasion to express myself.

* * *

Thank you for spending this time with us, Dj BoriQua. We will look forward to learning more of what you have to share And to catch you along with any other of our top Djs including: Dj Fab Fred, Dj El dela Clave, Dj La Coqui, Dj Frank and Dj Nelson Flores at the upcoming premiere west coast salsa event:

We're so fortunate with the level of Dj talent present here in the Sf Bay Area. Next time you're out dancing and hear a song you appreciate, let the Dj know - question about the artist, the origin, the era of the music. It might just broaden your mind. . . And will by all means; of course enrich your taste of Salsa!!

Dj Spotlight feature Interview - Dj BoriQua - One-On-One Exclusive

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น